Wednesday, 23 November 2011 3:52 PM
A holiday cottage break is a great option for family get-togethers and breaks away with friends over the festive period.
Here is Travelbite’s pick of holiday cottages and what they’re best for:
Best for: a romantic Christmas ‘a deux’
Fancy ditching the relatives, cosying up with your other half and shutting out the Christmas mayhem? Check into a cottage designed for two and relish the unspoilt peace and isolation!
- For a far flung retreat head to Land’s End and Mowey Cottage. This beautifully renovated cottage offers a luxurious bolthole for two, with features including a hand-built pine kitchen with granite worktops, a brand new Cornish Heritage Stove and a cosy woodburner. There is a pub and shop in nearby St Buryan, which is perfect for a tipple after a blustery walk on Lamorna beach. Costs form £485 for a week from December 22nd based on two sharing with Farm & Cottage holidays.
The Owl Box, Dorset
- The Owl Box is an enchanting little thatched barn for couples tucked down a country lane in a Dorset village. The detached, brick and cob cottage has a cosy living room with beams and timber-clad walls, a woodburner-style stove and a galleried bedroom with country views. Scenic walking and cycling are close by and the Jurassic Coast is a 15-minute drive away. Three nights from December 23rd costs £415 with www.hideaways.co.uk.
Best for: festive family get-togethers
If your Christmas is all about big family get-togethers then why not swap the family home for a stress-free holiday cottage break in a house large enough to fit you all under one roof?
- Sleeping 12, Rhu House near Saunton Sands in Devon makes the perfect pad for an extended family Christmas. This six-bed house enjoys a fabulous location with panoramic views out across the Braunton Burrows. The charming property has all the amenities you need for a family Christmas, including fully equipped kitchen, living room with large flat screen TV and enclosed garden where the little ones can let off steam! Costs £2650 for a week from December 22nd (£221 per person based on 12 sharing) with Farm & Cottage holidays.
Rhu House, Devon
- The award-winning contemporary house SeaGlass is situated in an outstanding location above Gurnard bay, near the famous sailing town of Cowes on the Isle of Wight. With 180 degree sea views towards the New Forest this discreet property enjoys one of the world’s most beautiful sunsets. Its layout and interior design suggest a wonderful 21st century twist on ‘60s Californian chic. The main glass room measures 55ft x 25ft with an expansive teak deck on one side and the sheltered white granite courtyard on the other. The grounds include a number of terraces and eating areas, with a swimming pool and BBQ area. Sleeps 11. Costs from £6,495 per week with HomeAway.co.uk.
- The six-bed Cedars cottage in Suffolk is a large period property of over 5000 sqft with large reception rooms enabling everyone to find a quiet space to unwind. The house caters for both adults and children with its play room and climbing frames to keep the children occupied whilst the adults relax or play pool. The house features drawing and sitting rooms with log burners, a large dining room seating 12, as well as a separate kitchen dining table in the conservatory that seats six. The conservatory has a seating area, television and a snooker table. Catering and pampering packages can be arranged on request. Sleeps 12. Costs from £4,000 per week with HomeAway.co.uk.
Best for: a fun packed New Year
Forget cramped clubs and over-priced bars, why not bring in the New Year with your closest friends and family in a holiday cottage all to yourself?
- Sleeping six, Rivière Barton is located just seven miles from the New Year party hub (pack your fancy dress!) of St Ives in Cornwall. It is one of three well appointed barn conversions that are situated in a tranquil position. Why not get a group of friends together and book out all three? The spacious single storey accommodation has three bedrooms and is within easy reach of the beach for wintery walks to blow away the cobwebs on New Year’s Day! Costs from £900 for a week from December 29th (£150 per person based on six sharing) with Farm & Cottage Holidays.
- Tennacott Lodge in located just a mile from the Devon town of Bideford which is renowned for its New Year celebrations, so pack your comedy wig and join in the festivities! Sleeping 10, this party pad is one of two barn conversions on the farm (the other sleeps six) and has features including a large kitchen with range cooker, underfloor heating, woodburner and enclosed garden with stunning views. Costs £1,675 for a week from December 29th (£167.50 per person based on 10 sharing) with Farm & Cottage Holidays.
Tennacott Lodge, Bideford
- Alice Howe Cottage in Windermere, the Lake District is a unique row of Grade II listed large holiday homes, located in the heart of Windermere village within private grounds. Designed by Augustus (AWN) Pugin, these cottages are believed to date from 1849, and were originally the railway cottages at Windermere Station. Alice Howe Cottage is a cosy farmhouse style property with full-on 21st century comforts. You’ll find a kitchen warmed by an Aga to come down to in the morning. The cottages can be decorated for Christmas and local food delivered to your door. Alice Howe cottage is available for New Year. Seven nights from cost £3000 from December 27th with The Big Domain.
Best for: wintery walks on your doorstep
After gorging yourself on turkey, Christmas pudding and stilton, how about a blustery walk to blow away the cobwebs? Pick a pad with direct access to coast paths or a National Park and you have no excuse not to stretch your legs this festive season…
- Maer Estate Holiday Cottages on the borders of Staffordshire, Cheshire and Shropshire offers eight superbly renovated cottages. The 200-acre estate is on the National Parks and Gardens register and boasts a private lake, woodland and meadow walks within rolling countryside. The lovely cottages boast a wealth of exposed beams and character. All have fully fitted kitchens with solid oak framed furniture and granite work surfaces, 32" LCD TV, free view, CD player and wireless internet connection. A week’s stay over Christmas arriving December 24th costs from £695 for four and £1250 for six with Premiercottages.co.uk.
Neuadd Farm Cottages, Wales
- Neuadd Farm Cottagesare some of the prettiest in Wales with terrific walking, beaches and golf courses nearby. The wildlife in the area is outstanding and includes dolphins, seals, red kites, peregrine chough as well as a resident barn owl. The little harbour town of New Quay, one time home of Dylan Thomas is just three miles away, with the Georgian town of Aberaeron, inspired by Nash, just up the coast. A week’s stay over Christmas, arriving December24th, costs £550 for two, £850 for four and £999 for six. with Premiercottages.co.uk.
Follow us @travelbite